Estate Management is concerned with the analysis, direction, supervision and control of interests in landed property with the aim of securing optimum return. The general philosophy is to develop highly skilled and intellectually prepared professionals in the wide area of Estate Management and to optimize the use of land among competing claims with due regards to economic and social advantages and long-term future developments.
The aim of the course is to educate and equip students with fundamental body of knowledge in the constituent disciplines of Property Valuation, Development Appraisal, Building Construction, Land Surveying, Economics, Town Planning, Land Law, Land Economics, Property Management and Property Development and Finance. Graduates trained in Estate Management should therefore not only acquire skills indicated but should be able to demonstrate them by making spontaneous, analytic, deductive and competent judgments on issues facing contemporary Nigerian environment, particularly those relating to interests in landed property. The graduate of Estate Management is also trained to interact with other allied professionals in the construction/property industry.
They are expected to perform, inter alia, the following services that have become standard practice in the profession:
- Valuation of interests in land and buildings for several purposes including rental, sale, purchase, mortgage, probate, insurance and rating. Others include going concern valuation, as well as valuation for compulsory acquisition and compensation, valuation of plant and machinery, fixtures and fittings, and valuation for capital gains and capital transfer taxes.
- Formulation and implementation of Land Policies.
- Pre-investment advice including portfolio investment analysis, packaging of development finance, property development and project management.
- Estate agency, sales, purchases, letting of all types of landed properties.
- Management of all types of landed properties including property portfolio and facilities management.
- Carry out Cost Benefit Analysis of Projects and advice on their desirable locations.